Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Keeping Time

I ventured to a wonderful local string instrument store and found this gem... It's exactly what I was looking for! Compact, old fashioned, delightfully annoying! They also had some $100 owl metronome that I just couldn't bring myself to buy... cute as it was. I haven't used a metronome since I practiced piano at my parents' house, probably pre-2004. I find it helps to have the metronome going as I familiarize myself with a new tune... It's been ages since I've read sheet music regularly, and I am completely rhythmically challenged. In high school band I remember always laughing with my friend Caroline that our section (the pit! Yay, vibraphone/marimba/glockenspiel!) went through a time warp because we would continually find ourselves lost in different measures than the rest of the band, much to our director's dismay. Beat on our stands all you want, Dr. Spencer, it's not helping! We did better in jazz band, I on bass guitar & Caroline on piano... but the nature of jazz music only allowed for a partial masking of our shared affliction.

No comments:

Post a Comment